The aim of Kashmir Great Lakes expedition is to trek from Sonamag to Naranag via Nichnai Pass. The Great Lakes as the name suggests treks through many high altitude alpine lakes situated at the foothills of different snowy mountain peaks. It crosses streams, plenty of colorful meadows and crosses three mountain passes.
Kashmir Great Lakes Trek is an beautiful stunning treks in the Himalayas, this trek enables you to see the real beauty of Kashmir which lies in these hidden valleys which are not accessible by road. As everyone know Kashmir is a paradise, And a trek to great lakes of Kashmir is an ultimate lifetime experience and memories that are so mesmerizing. Apart from the lakes the snow capped mighty Himalayan mountains and the mesmerizing green views adds to the beauty of these lakes.
Though trekking in Kashmir is not newest but still this expedition is no walk in the park. Arduous days, steep and rocky passes and altitudes approaching 4200m all collide to create a challenging trek in one of the most beautiful and serene Himalayas of Kashmir.
7 Nights & 8 Days
Zajibal Pass (4180 Meters)
Price Per Person
400 USD (Group size 2)
350 USD (Group size 3 – 5)
300 USD (Group size above 6)
Custom Group Size
Trekkers can also choose a group size of their choice. And maximum number of Trekkers in a group is 16.
Day 1: Arrival at Sonamarg.
Day 2: Sonamarg to Nichnai via Shekdur.
Day 3: Nichnai to Vishansar lake via Nachnai Pass.
We leave Nichnai meadow and immediately start ascending one of the three passes of the trek the Nichnai Pass.
Day 4: Krishansar to Gadsar (6 hrs trek).
Day 5: Gadsar to Satsar Lakes (5 hrs trek).
Day 6: Satsar to Gangabal lake (6 hrs trek).
Day 7: Gangabal to Naranag. (6 hrs trek)
Day 8: Departure day.
Our representative will drop you at airport or bus station.
What’s included in the Price?
- All road transport by private ac cars (airport transfers/ from Srinagar to base camp and back).
- Arrival/ departure 1 nights Deluxe Houseboat or Hotel accommodation in Srinagar (full board), unless specified.
- 5 nights tented accommodation (full-board) mountain camps.
- Trekking gear including tents, sleeping bags, mats, blankets, trekking poles.
- English Speaking Kashmiri Local Guide and a Cook.
- All cooking utensils including cooking LPG stove.
- Horses to carry backpack (except day sack), group equipment (tents/ stoves/ fuel) to the higher camps.
- Meal plan: All meals included (vegetarian meals including eggs and cheese, unless specified.
- Trek/ Wildlife Permits.
- First Aid.
What’s not included in the Price?
- International or domestic flights
- Travel insurance.
- Personal clothing and equipment.
- Any medical costs incurred by you, or costs associated with a medical incident, such as your evacuation from the mountain and/ or hospitalization (for which you should have travel insurance).
- Optional trips or excursions.
- Tips for local staff and guides.
The trek is supported by horses. You will need to carry only a light sack, weighing about 4-6kg for your personal items like passport, money and camera gear. The following is a list of the items you should carry on the trek. If you have items which can not be used on the trek, you can store them at our houseboat or at our office and take them back after returning from the trek.
- Duffel Bag 60 liters
- One Pair Trekking Shoes
- One Pair Trail Approach Shoes
- Trekking Pants
- Hooded Rain Jacket
- Shade Hat
- One Pair Sunglasses
- One Pair Liner Gloves
- Small Size Day-Pack
- Two Pair Trekking Socks
- One Pair Sandals
- Extra Warm Clothes
- Warm Hooded Down Jacket
- Sunscreen Cream
- Lip Balm
- Any Personal Medication
Kashmir Treks are achievable by anyone with a healthy lifestyle and a good level of general fitness. Team members should be willing to be part of a team working together to achieve the goal of the expedition. As a team member, you should have an adventurous and robust spirit. The biggest challenge on this expedition will be the many consecutive days of challenging trekking across alpine terrain, much of which at altitudes of above 3000m.
Minimum fitness requirements
- Trekking Level: Moderate.
- Trek: up to 17km per day.
- Daily activity: up to 7 hours’ trekking per day.
- Carry: up to 5kg in a day sack.
- Terrain: remote, uneven, snowy, icy, rocky, sometimes exposed terrain at up to 4200m.
- Climate: Can be sunny in valleys and cold and windy at altitude. Averages are 3000m, 5 to 25C.
- Swim: not required though there will be river crossings to make.
Plan Your Trek
While planning your trek, as a beginner keep the following points in consideration:-
- you feel fit enough to trek for hours.
- you walk two or three kilometers daily.
- you don’t have any breathing problem.
- you are not scared of heights.
- get advice from your doctor.
- or chose trekking for few days instead.