The aim of Dachigam-Marsar-Trek expedition is to traverse two valleys. Starting from Sumbal the trek goes through Marsar Lake and enters the Dachigam National Park. The Park is a wildlife sanctuary of Kashmir which holds the last viable species of brown deer Kashmir Hangul (Stag). The trek crosses streams, plenty of colorful meadows under the snow-clad mountains.
Though trekking in Kashmir is not newest but still this expedition is no walk in the park. Arduous days, steep and rocky passes and altitudes approaching 4200m all collide to create a challenging trek in one of the most beautiful and serene Himalayas of Kashmir.
6 Nights & 7 Days
Sonmasti Pass (4080 Meters)
Price Per Person
400 USD (Group size 2)
350 USD (Group size 3 – 5)
300 USD (Group size above 6)
Custom Group Size
Trekkers can also choose a group size of their choice. And maximum number of Trekkers in a group is 16.
Day 1: Arrival. Reception at Srinagar airport.
On arrival at Srinagar , you will be met by our representative at the airport and transfer you to the houseboat. During which you will have the oppurtunity to see around Srinagar. Overnight stay.
Day 2: Srinagar – Sumbal (3 hours) – Sonmasti (6 hours trek).
After breakfast at houseboat we drive to Sumbal in the Sind valley, taking Srinagar-Leh highway through the villages of Ganderbal. We pack or load on horses and start trek through pine forests. We pitch our tents at Sonmasti for an overnight stay.
Day 3: Sonmasti – Sundersar (5 hours trek).
Start trekking through the barren landscapes of Sonmasti valley after crossing a mountain pass of 4000m we camp at Sundersar for an overnight stay.
Day 4: Sundersar – Tarsar – Marsar (5 hours trek).
Early in the morning we head towards Tarsar Lake gradual ascend to the Tarsar Lake valley. We cross a mountain separator and enter the Marsar Lake for an over night stay.
Day 5: Marsar – Nagbaren (5 hours trek).
We follow the Dagwan river gorge the drain of Marsar lake continue trekking through the alpine meadows. We pitch our tents at Nagbaren Dachigam for an overnight stay.
Day 6: Nagbaren – Harwan (5 hours trek) – Srinagar (1 hour drive).
Start descending slowly and trek down to Harwan through Dachigam National Park. We catch our car and reach Srinagar in a one hour drive. Overnight stay at houseboat.
Day 7: Departure day.
Our representative will drop you at Srinagar airport for departure.
- All road transport by private ac cars (airport transfers/ from Srinagar to base camp and back).
- Arrival/ departure 2 nights Deluxe Houseboat or Hotel accommodation in Srinagar (full board), unless specified.
- 4 nights tented accommodation (full-board) mountain camps.
- All trekking gear including tents, sleeping bags, mats, blankets, trekking poles.
- English Speaking Kashmiri Local Guide and a Cook.
- All cooking utensils including cooking LPG stove.
- Horses to carry backpack (except daysack), group equipment (tents/ stoves/ fuel) to the higher camps.
- Meal plan: All meals included (vegetarian meals including eggs and cheese, unless specified.
- Trek/ Wildlife Permits.
- First Aid.
- International or domestic flights
- Travel insurance.
- Personal clothing and equipment.
- Any medical costs incurred by you, or costs associated with a medical incident, such as your evacuation from the mountain and/ or hospitalization (for which you should have travel insurance).
- Optional trips or excursions.
- Tips for local staff and guides.
The trek is supported by horses. You will need to carry only a light sack, weighing about 4-6kg for your personal items like passport, money and camera gear. The following is a list of the items you should carry on the trek. If you have items which can not be used on the trek, you can store them at our houseboat or at our office and take them back after returning from the trek.
- Duffel Bag 60 liters
- One Pair Trekking Shoes
- One Pair Trail Approach Shoes
- Trekking Pants
- Hooded Rain Jacket
- Shade Hat
- One Pair Sunglasses
- One Pair Liner Gloves
- Small Size Day-Pack
- Two Pair Trekking Socks
- One Pair Sandals
- Extra Warm Clothes
- Warm Hooded Down Jacket
- Sunscreen Cream
- Lip Balm
- Any Personal Medication
Kashmir Treks are achievable by anyone with a healthy lifestyle and a good level of general fitness. Team members should be willing to be part of a team working together to achieve the goal of the expedition. As a team member, you should have an adventurous and robust spirit. The biggest challenge on this expedition will be the many consecutive days of challenging trekking across alpine terrain, much of which at altitudes of above 3000m.
Minimum fitness requirements
- Trek: up to 20km per day.
- Daily activity: up to 7 hours’ trekking per day.
- Carry: up to 5kg in a day sack.
- Terrain: remote, uneven, snowy, icy, rocky, sometimes exposed terrain at up to 4200m.
- Climate: Can be sunny in valleys and cold and windy at altitude. Averages are 3000m, 5 to 25C; and 4000m.
- Swim: not required though there will be river crossings to make.
Plan Your Trek
While planning your trek, as a beginner keep the following points in consideration:-
- you feel fit enough to trek for hours.
- you walk two or three kilometers daily.
- you don’t have any breathing problem.
- you are not scared of heights.
- get advice from your doctor.
- or chose trekking for few days instead.